Thursday, November 12, 2009

Gearing up for 'Twilight'

If you're under the age of, let's say 40, and have an affection for vampires - particularly if they look like actor Robert Pattinson - then you probably are conspiring to see the next installment in the latest "Twilight" film series.

And you probably know the opening date of "The Twilight Saga: New Moon" by heart - Nov. 20 (I had to look it up) - and no doubt have tickets for the upcoming midnight show. I predict it will be a massive turnout. I discovered, when I was inquiring about the turnout for Michael Jackson's "This Is It" documentary, that a few theaters already had folks buying tickets for the midnight show of "New Moon" three weeks in advance. Now that's devotion.

While I love vampires, I haven't been completely sucked into the whole "Twilight" phenomenon. I've had friends who devoured the books in the series, saying it was pretty addictive. I thought about giving those a try, but decided to forgo that after a trip to the bookstore one day. I picked up one of the books and read a sentence that went something like this "My boyfriend sparkles." I put it back down. Seriously, sparkling vampires? But I have seen the first film. Liked it so much I watched it twice. Yes, "Twilight" vampires do "sparkle" and are quite enchanting to watch (especially Pattinson, who plays Bella's vampire love interest Edward), but it was the vampire baseball scene that got me hooked. It's a must-see.

I do plan to see the next film, but not right away. I'll wait until after the fanfare dies down. I'm interested in the plot between Edward and Bella's friend/admirer Jacob (who is part werewolf), played by Taylor Lautner. It's going to be a vicious love triangle. I will probably be seeking out "Twilight" fans at the movie on opening day for a feature in the Herald.

For those die hard fans out there, though, who just can't get enough of "Twilight," check out Borders "New Moon Live" Web cast 5 p.m. Nov. 15. The Web cast will be live from Los Angeles, featuring a panel of "Twilight" fanatics from fansites who will talk about the film, dish about behind-the-scenes details and other surprises. The event will be streamed live at www.BordersMedia.com/NewMoonLive.

-January Holmes

No comments: