Sunday, January 6, 2013

Look who's turning 65 years old in 2013

From left, 2012 Kennedy Center Honorees and members of Led Zeppelin Jimmy Page, John Paul Jones, Robert Plant arrive at the State Department for the Kennedy Center Honors Gala Dinner on Dec. 1, 2012 in Washington. (AP Photo/Kevin Wolf)

Read more here: http://www.bradenton.com/2012/12/03/4302095/kennedy-center-honors-2012.html#storylink=misearch#storylink=cpy

Rock 'n' roll officially became the domain of senior citizens several years ago when the likes of Paul McCartney, Mick Jagger and Tina Turner reached retirement age.

Now it's time for heavy metal to get elderly.

Black Sabbath original members Ozzy Osbourne (vocals), Tony Iommi (guitar) and Bill Ward (drums) turn 65 in 2013.

Alice Cooper does, too.

Same for Robert Plant.

It must be surreal for people like my parents, who as a teenage couple in the early 1970s, were gleefully terrified at concerts by the scary young men of Sabbath and the Alice Cooper group.

For me, it's more sad than strange that my all-time favorite rock music still predates my birth.

I would love for a new rock band to come along and blow my mind the way Led Zeppelin did when my 12-year-old self discovered the group's second album among Dad's collection of vinyl.

But it just isn't happening.

My favorite new rock song of 2012?

A single called "Doom and Gloom" by a bunch of geriatrics calling themselves The Rolling Stones.

Anyway, here are some of the rockers turning 65 in 2013.

Read more.

No comments: